By: Kevin Ramsell
LOVES PARK, IL (Sunday, April 06, 2008) – Dale Markham’s move to the high side of the Rockford Speedway proved to be the winning groove as he drove off to win the WXRX 104.9FM Stone & Double T 200 Enduro this afternoon. The Enduro was the first racing event of the 61st season at the Speedway.
“I had a lot of fun, had a lot of ups and downs,” a happy Markham stated in victory lane. “My dad helped me as I saw him in the stands and he motioned me to go up on top cause that was the way to go today, and I started going around a bunch of cars. I had to watch it because I lost the front bumper. But, the top was the way to go because I couldn’t get any grip coming off the bottom because the car is an automatic and couldn’t get much rpm’s off the bottom. To have an automatic and win this is awesome, because most of the guys had manual transmissions.”
Markham would take the lead on lap 123 after leader Jim Klingel went into the pits. Markham was virtually in cruise control from that point to the checkered flag.
Earlier in the race, it was Roger Schultz leading the field. But as they came to the halfway break, Schultz would have a broken CV joint and would not return for the second half.
2007 Goblin 250 winner, Josh Nelms, was hoping to make it two in a row at the Rockford Enduros but came up one spot short. Klingel would recover from his pit stop to finish third and Josh’s father, Mike Nelms was fourth.
WXRX 104.9FM afternoon drive-time hosts, Stone & Double T competed in the Enduro named after them.
“It started out as a whole lot of fun, I had a pretty decent car then the tire went bad. It needed some work and we got that done. And then something broke around 140 going into turn one and I was in the wall and was done after that,” Stone stated after the race. “It’s an absolute blast, I would do this again. I raced in the Goblin and now this and I can’t wait to come back and do this again.” Stone finished 25th.
For his partner, Double T, this was the first time he competed in an Enduro, “They told me my car wouldn’t be the fastest, but it would handle pretty good,” Double T stated after the race. “Car jumped out in front of me by the start/finish line and I rear ended it and was done for the day. I had a blast and I would do it again.” He would end up 31st.
Their other on-air partner, Captain Jack, was 35th.
Tickets are on sale now for the 31st Annual Spring Classic presented by Yellowbook on Sunday, April 13th starting at 1:00 pm. The Big 8 Series presented by Gandrud Chevrolet will be competing in a 100-lap feature along with the Mid-American Series competing in a 50-lap feature event.
Please visit the track’s website at www.rockfordspeedway.com to download a $3 off coupon for the Spring Classic.
For more information on the above events or any upcoming events, please call the track office at (815) 633-1500 or visit the track’s website at www.rockfordspeedway.com.
4/6/2008 - Enduro Results... 1
A-Main 01 -- 1. Dale Markham, Maple Park; 2. Josh Nelms, Lockport; 3. Jim Klingel, Aurora; 4. Mike Nelms, Lombard; 5. Rick Zifko, St. Charles; 6. Jerry Brown, Genoa; 7. Greg Elser, Marengo; 8. Jeff Allendorf, Belvidere; 9. Scott Vetter, Union; 10. Kyle Smith, St. Charles
11. Ryan Lagestee, Dyer, Ind.; 12. Geoff McKarns, Mundelein; 13. Alan Bekielewski, Roscoe; 14. Donald Eash, Rockford; 15. Mike Cunz, Cortland; 16. Steve Goll, East Dundee; 17. Paul Bastian,
Holcomb; 18. Matt Rowe, Maribel, Wis; 19. Ted Diangikes, Montgomery; 20. Corey Rauch, Kankakee
21. Kyle Riedner, Waunakee, Wis; 22. Kenneth Hood, Lily Lake; 23. Frank Bridges, Roscoe; 24. Brian Stanelle, Greenleaf, Wis; 25. Jim Stone; 26. William Quinonez, Rochelle; 27. Jay Brendle, Kirkland; 28. Roger Schultz, Rockford; 29. James Stanis, Rockford; 30. Ron Elser, Marengo
31. Double T;; 32. Tadd Reiter, Waterman, Wis; 33. Rick Cunz, Cortland; 34. Lorron
Strahorn, Rockford; 35. Captain Jack; 36. David Pautsch, Jr, Roscoe; 37. James Boehart, Woodstock; 38. Randy Ellis, Belvidere; 39. Morgan Breeding, Woodstock; 40. Bill Springhorn, Sharon, Wis
41. William Jackson, Lake in the Hills; 42. Paul Milbratz Jr, Wonderlake; 43. Nathan Lewis, Rochelle; 44. Rick Abel, Salem, Wis; 45. Matt Niezgodzki, Poplar Grove; 46. Jay Orr, South Milwaukee, Wis; 47. Matt Covey, Hoffman Estates; 48. Steve Luckey, Machesney Park; 49. Kyle Stark, Waterloo, Wis
50. Vince Scheidler, Poplar Grove; 51. Jimmie Jewell Jr, Union; 52. Cory Castaldo, Westclester; 53. Chris Pastaska, Rockford.
This article was posted to the website on April 5th, 2008
Click to view all related content in that category