By: Kevin Ramsell (www.kevinramsell.com)
LOVES PARK, IL (Sunday, April 13, 2008) – Lyle Nowak captured the season opening event for the Mid-American Series at Rockford Speedway’s 31st Annual Spring Classic presented by Yellowbook. It was Nowak’s second Spring Classic win in three years, as he captured the 2006 win.
Ryan Finley was the early leader in the 50-lap feature event on a cool afternoon of racing. Finley would lead until Don Wood got into the inside of Finley on lap 11 to challenge for the top spot. The two would battle side-by-side until Wood pulled away on lap 13 to become the new leader.
Nowak, who started from the pole, worked his way back to the front. On lap 15, he would get past Finley for the second spot and set his sights on Wood.
Wood appeared to be in command of the 50-lap event. A caution would fly on lap 39 when Daryl Gerke and Kenny Smart got together in turn four causing Smart to spin.
On the re-start, Wood led the field into turn one. As he went into turn one, Wood realized he had no brakes and would spin in turns one and two. Wood would climb the wall and take out a billboard, thus causing a red flag.
Wood was able to walk away, but his car didn’t look good. After a ten minute red flag, the field re-started with Nowak in the lead with Scott Null in second and defending Mid-American Series Champion James Swan in third.
Nowak would jump out to a five-car length lead while Null and Swan would put on a great side-by-side battle for second with ten laps to go.
The veteran driver would go on to take his second Spring Classic win while Null would hold off Swan for second.
“I am honored to be able to compete and race with them,” Nowak said in victory lane. “I felt bad for Don Wood, he had a strong car and he was going to win this race.”
The Mid-American Series will meet again on Sunday, April 27th for the Golden Sands Spring Spectacular at Golden Sands Speedway in Plover, WI.
For more information, please visit the series website at www.midamericanracing.com.
1. Lyle Nowak, Wausau, WI 32
2. Scott Null, Lake Mills, WI 62
3. James Swan, Genoa City, WI 97
4. Kyle Shear, Roscoe, IL 7
5. Daryl Gerke, Whitelaw, WI 64
6. Ryan Finley, Shabbona, IL 89
7. Gregg Haese, Manitowoc, WI 67
8. Rod Brewe, Menomonie, WI 53
9. Kenny Smart, Eagle, WI 45
10. Troy Shear Jr., Roscoe, IL 6
11. Bobby Gutknecht, Oak Creek, WI 10
12. Bill Prietzel, Richfield, WI 5
13. Don Wood, Denmark, WI 11
14. Kenny Joosten, Wonder Lake, IL 47
15. Mikie Breiner, Johnsburg, IL 13
16. Dean Patterson, Bridgeview, IL 64p
17. Jake Finney, Sycamore, IL 28
18. Tom McClintock, Onalaska, WI 40
19. Mark Kissinger, West Bend, WI 7k
20. Dave Obermeyer, Slinger, WI 93
Last Chance finish
1. Kenny Smart - transfer
2. Dean Patterson - transfer
3. Mikie Breiner - transfer
4. Jim Thorson, Sugar Grove, Il 99
5. Brian Back, Rudolph, WI 36
6. Billy Tuckwell, Peoria, Il 20
7. Butch Mierendorf, Waterloo, WI 12
8. Tim Sehr, Des Plaines, IL 13s
9. Mark Pluer, Brookfield, WI 54
10. Ryan Gutknecht, Oak Creek, WI 01
Did not start:
Mark Brooner, Warrens, WI 00
Dale Knoll, Fredonia, WI 69
Chris Gantz, Loves Park, IL 3
Erik Pierce, Lake in the Hills, IL 118
Brett Piontek, Green Bay, WI 84
This article was posted to the website on April 12th, 2008
Click to view all related content in that category